Find out what features are included in PS Vita system software update 1.80.
An update to the PS Vita system software was released on 28 August 2012. If you update your PS Vita system, the system software version will be 1.80 and the following features will be updated.
A PS Vita system software update is required to use PlayStation Network features and some features on the system. Also, downloading and installing the PS Vita system software update will update your PS Vita system's operating system to include the latest security patches, as well as new and revised applications, features and settings. It is recommended that you always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.
Main features in system software update version 1.80
- You can now download and play original PlayStation® format software on your PS Vita system.
- You can now use the camera while creating a message to take a photo and attach it to the message.To take a photo while creating a message, tap [Attach File] > [Take Photo]. The photo you take will then be attached to the message.
- You can now use playlists created on a PlayStation 3 system or in iTunes* on your PS Vita system.
* iTunes version 10.6.3 or later required.
- Variable speed playback, fast-rewind and fast-forward and repeat play are now supported.
- A thumbnail will now automatically be generated when there is no thumbnail information for content.
- You can now control the home screen and some features in applications using the buttons on your PS Vita system.
- A Japanese keyboard (syllabary layout) has been added. Tap the [五十音] checkbox under [Settings] > [Start] > [Language] > [Input Languages] > [Keyboards / Add Terms] > [Japanese] to enable the keyboard. Once you enable the keyboard, you can then switch between keyboards. For details about switching between keyboards, consult the online user's guide at http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/psvita/index.html.
Other new or revised features in version 1.80
- [Import Saved Data] has been added to the LiveArea™ screen. This icon will only appear for games supporting this feature.
- You can now view a history of up to 100 chat messages or other information. Join a party from [Favorites], and then tap [Chat & Events].
- The layout and display speed of the LiveArea™ screen have been improved.
- Even when you cannot connect your PS Vita system to the Internet, the system periodically records information from Wi-Fi access points in the vicinity, and obtains the location data later when the system is connected to the Internet. To enable this setting, go to [Obtain location automatically at regular intervals] under "near" > [Start] > [Settings] > [Location Data]. You'll also need to check that you are within the area of location based services - visit http://www.skyhookwireless.com/location-technology/coverage.php to find out more.
- You can now delete all your friend requests in one go.
- To use this, go to [Options] > [Delete All].
- [Create Message] has been removed from the LiveArea™ screen and options menu. It is now displayed on the screen that lists groups.
- You can no longer tap [New Message] on the LiveArea™ screen. To see a new message, tap [Start] and start the Group Messaging application.
- You can now delete groups on the screen that lists groups by tapping [Options] > [Delete], selecting the groups you want to remove and then tapping [Delete].
- The method of selecting a recipient has been changed: tap [Create Message] > [Add Recipient] on the screen that lists groups and then select the recipient to whom you want to send your message.
- You can now select a recipient from the players in a party.
- The general layout has been changed.
- MPO files are now supported. Representative images for MPO files can be displayed.
- The usability of the progress bar during video playback is improved. While dragging the knob of the progress bar to move to a desired location, you can now see the image for that location in the video.
- Saving images after taking photos now completes faster.
- Importing images and videos from a PlayStation 3 system and a computer now completes faster.
- You can now copy a photo or video using [Options] while a photo or video is displayed. Tap [Options] > [Copy] to copy a photo or video.
- A feature to go back to the top of a page has been added.
- You can now control some features with the rear touch pad.
- The general layout has been changed.
- [Cross-Controller] has been added to the LiveArea™ screen.
- You can now place a [User Flag] by touching and holding at a desired location.
- You can now delete a [User Flag] using [Options] when a map is displayed. Tap [Options] > [Delete the Flag] to delete a flag.
- A button to switch between [Search for Location] and [Search for Directions] has been added. Tap the button to switch between search types.
- The general layout has been changed.
- [Notification Alert], [Notification Alert (PS Button)] and [Notification Alert (Sound)] under [Sound & Display] have been moved to the newly added category [Notifications]. These items have also been renamed as [Display Notifications], [Alert Using PS Button] and [Alert Using Sound] respectively.
- The menu items under [Date & Time] > [Date & Time Settings] have been changed.
- In [Videos], [Music] and [Photos], the layout of category lists has been improved. If you connect your PS Vita system to a PS3 system or a computer, [PS3™ System] or [PC] will appear at the very top of the category list.
- The accuracy of location data that is obtained using GPS has been improved.
- The layout of the screen that appears when you tap the notification indicator has been improved.
- The [Help] feature on the LiveArea™ screen has been improved. You can now double tap the touchscreen or use pinch control to zoom in and out, plus you can tap the page number at the bottom of the touchscreen and then drag the slider to go to a specific page.
- The layout for activities has been improved.
- While entering the text, you can delete characters to the left of the cursor by pressing the Square button and close the keyboard by pressing the Circle button.
- Do not download or install the update using data other than the official update data provided online or on a PS Vita card by Sony Computer Entertainment. Do not download or install updates by methods other than those described in the system documentation or on this website. If you download or install update data from a different source, by a different method, or on a PS Vita system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS Vita system might not operate properly and might not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions can void the PS Vita system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
- This update is for PS Vita systems purchased in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Gulf states and India. Do not update your PS Vita system using this website if you purchased your system outside of these regions. There is no guarantee of proper operation with models sold outside of these regions. For details about PS Vita systems purchased outside of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Gulf states and India, please visit the website for your region.
- Do not turn off the power or remove the memory card for the PS Vita system during the update process. Interrupting the update can cause a system malfunction.
- It might not be possible to start the update if the battery charge level is low.
- The power button and the PS button do not function during the system update process.
- You might not be able to use some applications or content without first updating the system software.