Stay in touch with your friends using text chat on PS3.
You can do text chat with people on your Friends list. You can also participate in text chat during gameplay.
Starting text chat
- Select [Start New Chat] under Friends.
- Select [Text Chat].
- Enter a name for the text chat room.
- Select the Friends that you want to invite to chat, and then select [OK]. The text chat screen is displayed. The chat will begin as soon as someone joins the chat.
- Up to 16 people can join a chat room.
- You can use a connected keyboard or wireless keypad (each sold separately) for text entry.
Joining a text chat
If you are invited to text chat, a notification message will be displayed at the top right corner of the screen. Select [Chat Room (Text Only)] under Friends, and then select the chat room that you want to join.
- You can join up to three chat rooms at the same time.
- Up to 20 chat rooms can be displayed in [Chat Room (Text Only)].
Leaving a chat room
- During a text chat, press the Circle button.
- Press the Triangle button, and then select [Leave] from the options menu.
If you turn off the PS3 system or sign out from PlayStation Network, you will automatically leave the chat room. If you join a chat room again after leaving it, the record of chat entries sent while you were gone will not be displayed.
Text chat during gameplay
- Press the PS button while playing a game.
- Select [Chat Room (Text Only)] under Friends.
- Select a chat room. Press the PS button to return to the game screen.
- Some games do not allow you to join a text chat during gameplay.
- To leave a chat room during gameplay, follow the same steps, but in step 3 press the Triangle button and then select [Leave] from the options menu.